Saturday, July 19, 2014

2014 ASLOK XXIX - preparation

ASLOK XXIX - 2014

 

Gaming Choices

As I confirmed in 2010 at ASLOK XXV, travelling (one way) just under 15 and a half thousand kilometers to play ASL is a mission in itself. I found it really helped if I had a theme to aspire to in my scenario selection and Mini-Tourney selection.

The 2010 Minis

In 2010, I focussed on the PTO primarily, with my mini choices being as follows:

Wednesday: The Emperor's Finest
Thursday: Pacific
Friday: Sons of the Samurai
Saturday: Welcome to the Jungle
Sunday: Tin Cans & Popguns

Apart from the Sunday, I didn't get past the first round in any of the minis, so this year my goal is to get to the second round at least once if I can.

The 2014 Minis

For practical reasons I'm looking at maybe going East Front/Early war only if possible ...this way I only have to bring the Soviet and German OBs plus system counters.

Wednesday: Rocket to Russia or CandyGram!(DCs)
Thursday: Blitzkrieg Bop
Friday: A Decade of Dezign Decadence (There is bound to be an East Front one ehere)
Saturday: Land War in Asia

Open Gaming

I'll be playing in the World Cup from opening Sunday to Tuesday, which is where I intend to try and get 2 games only per day except where there's an opportunity to play some of the Euros who are hopefully turning up.

I've got a wishlist of North American opponents if we can match schedules, one or two being owed games from 2010 or arranged at that time: Matt Book, Bill Hayward, JR (wishlist), Steve Pleva (wishlist), either of the two half-squads, etc etc.

Now if all goes to plan, I should come away from ASLOK with about 20-25 games under my belt. I made sure I arrived earlier than last time just so I could shrug off the jet-lag that wiped me out previously. That and make sure I remember to eat often and well.

1 comment:

  1. Nice ~~ envious of your opponent list!! Would have asked you to pick up goodies for me but I wonder when I will see you next.

    Good to see your blog back up. Enjoy the run up to ASLOK!!

    ReplyDelete