Sunday, September 21, 2014

Malaya Madness - February 2014 - the Games I



 The Games ( Rounds 1 and 2)


I only managed to play 4 games instead of the planned 5/6, thanks to a stress induced illness that blindsided me completely. Of those four games, I lost three and won one. So my results were pretty dire compared to my pre-tournament expectations. But really the results were immaterial in the wider scheme of things.

Game 1 (Mulligan round)

G46 Triumph Atop Taraldsvikfjell vs George Bates

George and I had both played AP08 A Bloody Harvest previously so I think we decided to opt for this one as neither of us had played it previously. 

I started out pretty well, but a couple of tactical no-nos on my part and George’s consistently efficient play put this one to bed pretty early on. I didn’t pace my game properly and it caught up with me.  I think I played the attacker but my memory is very vague at this remove of time. It seems I played the Germans. 

0-1

Game 2

J103 Lenin’s Sons vs Stanley Neo

This game was a complete 180 degree change for me. I’m really not a good enough player to teach ASL and I’m not suited to teaching. Or so I thought. I felt a bit for Stanley, as this scenario is my Gavin Take/Totsugeki – I’ll play it at the drop of a hat. I modified the pace I play at so that there would be time to go through the whys and wherefores of ASL with Stanley if he wanted to ask questions. 

As it happens, Stanley has a solid grasp of tactics and he can focus…so time was always available and yet we played at a good solid pace. I did the usual Soviet blocking detachment + Commissar in the woods and despite a couple of scares on the ineffective Small Arms dicerolls, pretty much had the game in hand. What this did was allow me to show Stanley why I set up the way I did and what a German Player can do to mitigate the inherent strength of the Soviet wood defence.

1-1

The pic doesn’t quite show how shattered Stanley’s Germans were at the end of the game but it does show the channeling that I created.


No comments:

Post a Comment