Wednesday, September 29, 2010

ASLOK: 2 Days to go...

Let's get one thing straight - I'm going to ASLOK to have a good time. I chose the PTO theme for my visit because it's an aspect of ASL that I've subconsciously avoided and I want to improve my play base by playing as many different people and corresponding playstyles as possible. Results are incidental. Enjoyment is not.

I've been subbed to the various ASLML iterations since about 1995-96 I think. In that time, I've read the ASLOK reports the scenario discussions and the general conversations about ASL with a 'Damn I want to be able to go" viewpoint. But really it's about meeting some of the people I've played via VASL, PBeM, in one case PBM and saying hello and thanks in person. I've been playing ASL since 1986 now and in that time the number of face to face opponents I've played is around 20-25 at the outside. I expect to almost double that by October 11. So getting off my butt, having the money to attend and having SWMBO understand that I may not get another chance to attend so missing my step-daughter's birthday is okay this one time.

I'm keeping a journal of my time at ASLOK because I want to record as much as I can so I can look back in a few weeks time and think I came away from ASLOK as a much improved player, with a higher PMC threshold and get over my "ASL stagefright" where sometimes playing the game feels like a chore.

But it's the opportunity to touch base with fellow ASLers, put faces to those nicks and personalities to the written word that excites me. I'm hoping I don't come across as a 5 year old in a candy shop, but ASLOK is huge for me. It will cap off a year in which I've played some good, some bad and some truly fortunate ASL and finally caught up with all the ASL I missed out buying during the 'poor years" (well apart from KGP2, ABTF and OtO which are still on my to do list)

Yes I might be a bit trigger happy with the camera and I might ask you for your name a lot (I have a memory like a sieve for names, but not faces) - I'm hoping to generate a few regular VASL opponents out of ASLOK and very importantly meet people like Burnie Fox who helped a newbie with VASL 2 all those years ago - but I want to be able to recall as much about ASLOK as possible.

Damn straight I have high expectations of ASLOK as an experience. I wouldn't be coming if I didn't. Those expectations apply to myself though as well. I'm going to get my head handed to me on a plate most of the time so I'm going to focus on being a good sport and learning the lessons from each defeat. Who knows, I may start winning more than one game every 20 years against the Cleavinator. All I hope is that I provide some kind of challenge and a good game for my opponents.

No comments:

Post a Comment