Sunday, January 6, 2013

Starting as I mean to continue

Is It January 6 already?

J125 Everything is Lost, 1 January


The ASL new year started with not a bang but a whimper as I was out thought, out shot and out foxed in a game of J125 Everything is Lost with John Knowles. Suffice it to say, that the game was over after the opening salvo from the 88L AA gun that took out both ISU 152s, KIAed the 628/FT that had threatened it and rubbled the hex to boot.  Ugly, just ugly. Thoughts on this scenario later, but I have my suspicions that this one is too straitjacketed to be enjoyable for the attacker...



ASL087 Good Night, Sweet Prince, 5 January

Ivan Kent and I rocked up to the Paddo Bears meeting to play the revised version of GNSP from Doomed Battalions. Given that it was the first F2F game of the year for both of us, and it featured some weird and wacky Danish equipment, I was impressed to discover that we went all the way to the final player turn in just over 3.5 hours, once you took into account the lunch break and late start.
I thought I had overemphasised the weighting of my defensive set up in this, and i didn't really make the most of the two major AT assets I had, but the Steeple mounted HMG was the cornerstone of my defence throughoiut the game, along with the 8-0 that battlehardened to a wounded heroic 8-1.

Ivan ran out of VPs trying to cross the bridge, with the HMG chewing up anything that moved into the open. When it came to any shot with FFMO, FFNAM and -1 ldr directed, I usually rolled more KIAs in the attack than units on the receiving end. I'll look at this game in depth over the next week.

ASL 2013 season

This is now in full swing, 2 Ladder PBeM games underway, my second game of the year vs John Knowles due to start later today, and I'm in the scenario/side determination phase for both the VASLeague and the eASLeague.

To top it all off, I'm in the last stages of working through my CanCon attendance so January may be a very busy month both at work and play.







3 comments:

  1. Sorry to be dense - but do you know how to read te rest of your posts on an iPhone? For the life of me, I can't figure out how to get beyond the first couple of sentences.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have enabled Mobile templates now, but as I don't use a phone to browse the web at all, I'm not sure how successful this might be for you.

      Delete
  2. It worked Peter - thank you so much. 90% of my blog reading is done via my phone. Perhaps this is why my data usage is so high!

    ReplyDelete