Saturday, November 19, 2011

Future Directions

I've been thinking about writing this post for a while, but kept procrastinating because I wanted to put all kind of fancy graphics and example throughout.In the end I've canned that idea because this is mostly an aide-memoire for later and the bells and whistles can be added later.

Also by putting this out here for public consumption, I get the benefit of feedback and additional input/approaches and ideas I haven't really considered.

To Do Lists:
Pretty simple, but there are a lot. I find I accomplish more if I have a definite plan, with the codicil that the planning never seems to match up with the execution or vice versa.

  • A Playing to Do List - by default I'm playing against a couple of regular opponents in themed runs of scenarios, thereby knocking off their own to do lists, but it'd be nice to set out my own lists of themed playing lists, and after approximately 16 years of online ASL involvement and exposure to TPP, there are certainly a lot.

  • The OCD CDO list - Organisation and acquisition - I really need to set down my targets in organising my ASL stuff, as it's taking over my study all on its own. This includes things like dice towers, a long distance travel set, a home set and local travel set: Plano, Raaco, Hozan and Box Box all get attention here. 12 months ago I spent way too much on a net book tablet in effect just for ASLOK.

  • Designing and playtesting - I've a couple of ideas for scenarios that have been percolating around for years, but never got off my chuff to do anything about it. Time to change that.

  • AARs and playing history - I've got archives of my playing history laying around on various defunct hard drives and media that I really should look at moving to modern VASL for AAR purposes, plus it may be quite instructive looking at how my play has developed since 1995 when I first started playing outside my limited opponent set. And there's the added impetus of knowing that the AARs posted this month have been the most read of anything on this blog.
In these four categories there's a lot more beneath the surface, so I don't really have much excuse for posting gaps on this blog. The downside is that some of these projects are not exactly image rich and I gather most wall of text blogs get rapidly ignored so I'm a tad loathe to go down that road.

Pete

Currently Listening to: Siouxsie & the Banshees: Juju (1981)

2 comments:

  1. I don't do the theme play list as such but Rob and I have three PBeM games on the go, one of these is the whole S'Punct set another is the Dispatches set whilst the third s somewhat lighter. At the moment it's Journal Seven! So er maybe I do have a themed list!!

    You can get away with a image such as the pic from the scenario card or if you want a little more you could 'mock up' a part of the action on VASL (seems a little OCD but it is ASL I supose)
    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are such an evil enabler. I went ahaead and cropped the scenario artwork from the cards as suggested anbd that seems to work well. I was a little loath to post a mock up of the scenarios in question in case I was giving too much away (copyright wise) but then i've been posting AArs pics where if people really wanted to they could figure out the OBs anyway.

    ReplyDelete