Monday, November 14, 2011

One True Church (with maybe a little heresy)

I've been playing ASL for 25 - 26 years now, and SL-GI:AoV before that for 7 years. In that time I've looked at other games set at the same level but passed them all by. ASL is a lifestyle for me rather than a game amongst many.

I am not immune however to eye-candy, in fact that's why I still occasionally throw good money at Critical Hit, because I am indeed a "Map Ho".

I'd seen a squad-level game with very high production values previously but had passed it by because of the cost and because I could not be arsed spending serious amounts of cash on a game system that I was highly unlikely to play...until this popped up:


Now Conflict of Heroes has extremely eye-catching map graphics, high production value and colourful pieces, but based on the comments I've read from people whose opinions on boardgames I trust (anyone who recommends I buy Last Night on Earth instead of Zombies!!! gets my vote), the system is not for me.

But put it on an iPad, have my partner see it and go "Ooh shiny! I want to learn to play that!", well I'm pretty much resigned to spending mucho dinero on a new tactical system (at least, one that features self-contained games sets). Of course the ASLer in me refuses to accept that i can't somehow get the boards to work in ASL with some abstraction and deterministic terrain depiction workarounds.

I mean just look at these maps:





I swear it should be possible to play an ASL scenario on these maps. But having an iPad app likely for CoH? You just sold me all three games in the series because while my partner is a gamer, she doesn't play the same boardgames as me, just a few PC games usually involving death to zombies in various forms.

It really doesn't hurt that one of the modules is all about Poland 1939. Early War is definitely my thing, and unexpectedly being told that SWMBO would like to learn this game makes it a deal clincher.

Pete

2 comments:

  1. You know I'm almost tempted to buy the games, lay out the boards and set up some of the scenarios with ASL counters and take photos of them to post in GS just to see the recation from some of the more highstung and excitable types.

    ReplyDelete